According to hardware chief Andrew Bosworth, Facebook Inc.'s planned smart glasses will arrive "sooner than later" in 2021, but will not feature the digital overlay technology associated with augmented reality.
The glasses that are built in partnership with Ray-Ban and they will connect parent Luxottica Group SpA to a device, although users cannot overlay digital objects, a fundamental element of AR, into their real-world view.
"These certainly connected glasses, they certainly provide a lot of features, [but] we're quite coy about which features we provide precisely," Bosworth said. We're excited, but we don't want to over-hype it, either. We don't even call it augmented reality, we just call it "intelligent glasses," he added.
Smart lenses are part of the company's long-term effort to capture the next major computing platform after the smartphone. Chief Executive Officer Mark Zuckerberg is a major proponent of both AR and VR, although this first iteration of glasses from Facebook will not offer the ultimate promise of augmented reality, which is the ability through a lens to blend the digital and physical worlds. Bosworth would not disclose the feature set for the upcoming glasses, but said they align with the broader AR philosophy of Facebook, which is to make technology peripheral to human interactions to improve "presence."
The latest technology company to attempt to create a pair of smart glasses is Facebook. Google Alphabet Inc. was early in the Google Glass category, which never caught on as a consumer device but found a home in warehouse and industrial settings as a worker support. Snap Inc. has also introduced several iterations of its smart glasses, called Spectacles, which allow individuals to record hands-free video and transfer it to their phone. Apple Inc. is building a pair of clever glasses as well.
Do you like our news? Give us a 5-star rating and review on Google to show your support for the website.
article by Amit Caesar:
You should also check out the following articles:
- VR BUYING GUIDE AND THE BEST VR HEADSET FOR 2022
- A meta market opportunity: The metaverse could soon be worth $1 trillion
- Facebook wants to build a metaverse. Microsoft is creating something even more ambitious.
- How to succeed in the virtual reality world of tomorrow?
- Books you must read about virtual reality
- Best New Augmented Reality Books To Read In 2021
- US$ 4.7 Billion- The global augmented reality gaming market
- The smart glasses revolution is about to get real
- Consumer Brands Reinventing Marketing in the Metaverse
- Imagine Making Money in Rec Room
- The biggest AR and VR predictions of 2022
- Apple hired Meta's AR communications lead ahead of the 2022 launch of the headset.
- Who Will Be in Charge of the Metaverse?
- The Kingdom of Abraham: The first Jewish metaverse
- Gen Z are planning to spend thousands on cryptocurrency, NFTs and metaverse
- According to Goldman Sachs, the metaverse must run on blockchain
- What You Can Create With a Small Piece of Land in the Metaverse
- How To Buy Land In The Metaverse?